Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Slow Cookers Absolutely Rock!

Whoever thought of the concept for slow cookers/crockpots should really be nominated for sainthood. It's so nice to make an easy meal and have it ready the INSTANT you walk in the door. I have two - the one I use most often is a Rival 4 qt model I picked up at Target on sale for $15 last fall. Since I try to eat healthier than I did in my younger days, I also try to avoid the "dump a can of condensed soup over a chunk of meat" recipes for crockpots. Those recipes do taste good, but I'm trying to keep our weight, fat, cholesterol, and sodium levels in the non-lethal range since we're only in our thirties. Here's the reason for my admiration of this little electric appliance today.

Ingredients:
2-3 lb pork loin roast, trimmed of fat and frozen solid (I buy this stuff at Costco or on sale)
15.5 oz jar of Smucker's Low Sugar Red Raspberry Preserves (used half the jar)


*Note* Frozen is not a requirement, but you should probably reduce cooking time a few hours for a "fresh" roast. I always buy this stuff on sale and freeze it, but I'm perpetually forgetting to get it out a day or two before I want to use it - so it's a great benefit to me that this works with a frozen solid roast.

Last night before bed, I put the frozen pork roast in the lift-out part of the crockpot and smeared about half of the jar of preserves on it. I put the lid on the crockpot and put it in the fridge overnight. This morning, at about 7 am, I pulled it out and plopped it in the crockpot and set it on low. Went to work (hour long commute each way) and arrived home around 6 pm. It was fall apart tender and oh so good. I used the 'sauce' (cooked down preserves) to pour over the meat, threw together a salad, and Voila! Dinner done. And only the plates and crockpot to wash, and enough leftovers for the husband to take to work for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment