Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Week 5 Day 2 - not so bad!

Tonight's routine:
  1. Warmup walk at least 5 min
  2. Jog 8 minutes
  3. Walk 5 minutes
  4. Jog 8 minutes
  5. Cool down walk
I actually got a three day break. My husband's knee was bothering him too much yesterday (an old luxating patella injury that was aggravated by moving a HEAVY wood stove Sunday night then again Monday afternoon). I would've gone for a walk, but my dear husband forgot to tell me before it got too dark. And I had work stuff to deal with anyway.

I don't know if it was the three day break or what, but the 8 minute segments weren't really that bad. The hills were challenging, but surprisingly my lungs weren't what held me back - it was the cramp on the top of my right shoulder (in toward the neck) and then in my side. But I slowed down, kept jogging, and ran through them and made it. I was worried it would be so hard after three days off, but it really wasn't. I'm actually starting to feel reasonably fit.

Now, the program calls for the next session to be 20 minutes of straight running. I think I might repeat tonight and try to go just a smidge faster, then move up. Though I haven't decided if I'm just being a chicken or not. I do know this - tonight was the first time since high school (I'm now 32) that I've run for 8 minutes. In fact, even in high school when we had to run in PE, I think I always walked some - largely because I was too dumb to pace myself and go slowly at the beginning. I'm high on the accomplishment and very tired now, so good night!

1 comment: