Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Schedule Alteration (Week 4 Day 3/ Week 5 Day1)

So to stay "on schedule" we should've run again Tuesday. But life intervened. We went for a walk on Monday, but last night my husband had to work late, and we were both so exhausted by the time he got home that we just skipped it and we went tonight.

It's starting to get pretty cool here in the mountains of Northern Virginia. It's getting down into the forties and fifties at night and only up to about 70 (and a breezy, cool 70) degrees during the day. I love this time of year and the cool sunny weather. I do dislike the shortening days, chiefly because we run in the evenings and I'd prefer light. But there are only so many things one can control, and I'm not giving up because it's dark. So we go together, with flashlights.

Tonight I started off in knee length shorts, a sleeveless top, and a white jacket (Champion brand moisture-wicking stuff, courtesy of Target). I was actually shivering when I started out walking, but of course it only took a few minutes for me to get less cool, then after few more minutes, I tied the jacket around my waist because I was really warm!

We started running for the first 3 minute segment and elected to go a little bit longer to enjoy the downside of the hill we had to slog up. By the time we were done with that, it had been 5 minutes. So at that point, we decided to do the next week's first day tonight. So we did - we ran 5 min and walked 3 min, three times. Then on the way home, we jogged down the long hill that's so tough at the beginning. It was hard, but not so hard that I feel any different than usual. I still had some trouble with the hills when they occurred during running segments, but I did a couple more of them this time than last. I think next time we may repeat this, then go to Week 5 Day 2.

At any rate, I'm thankful for my health, grateful for the noticeable improvement in my recovery rate and my stamina, and I will sleep very well tonight!

2 comments:

  1. My son's cross country teammates have this advice for going up hills: swing your arms low and lean into the hill. I tried it a few times and it seems to help, though swinging your arms loose and low may feel odd when you first try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I tried this tonight and it did seem to help some. I think the key with leaning is to lean your entire body, not just bend at the waist. If I bend at the waist and lean forward going uphill it's hard to breathe because my diaphragm gets compressed (we do have some steep grades here). I really appreciate the advice!

    ReplyDelete